30 Days Of Recovery – Chapter 5 “A Healthy Lifestyle”
Excerpt from Chapter 5, “A Healthy Lifestyle”
Now let us stop and give yourself praise. You have made it through day five. The toxins are leaving your body; you are getting stronger and healthier by the minute. Slowly but surely you are going to start to enjoy your recovery, just stick with it. You probably still feel physically ill but I know you feel much better then you did three or four days ago. What can you do to reward yourself? Write down some things you want in your journal. What will make you happy? It can be anything, it can be materialistic, just a dream whether it is something simple like a bowl of ice cream or $1,000,000. The goal is to dream about what makes you feel good besides drugs……
Speaking of dreams, you may be having vivid dreams. They can be what we call using dreams. They can be scary and it can be triggering just remember they are only dreams. They may seem so real you think you have used. Get up and wash your face, pace through the house. Do what you need to do to shake the feeling of the dream. Then get your journal. Keep your journal next to your bed so you can record these dreams and try to make sense of them:
- Write these dreams in a journal
- How do you feel in the dreams?
- How do you feel when you wake up, immediately after you wake up?
- What happened when you woke up?
- If you can call someone and talk about it.
Using dreams are like a nightmare. Some people I have talked to have said they have even woken up thinking they had actually used and were high. The confusion and anxiety causes panic but as soon as they realize it was a nightmare they wrote it down and discuss it with their recovery counselor, a sponsor, and other recovering addicts.
- Dream Interpretations – How to Interpret Your Dreams (socyberty.com)
- Journaling (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days of Recovery – an overview of my book (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days of Recovery (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days of Recovery: Excerpt from Chapter 1 Day 1: Detox (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days of Recovery – Goin the extra mile for recovery (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days of Recovery – Chapter 3 – Day 3: Self-Help Programs (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days – Chapter 4 excerpt “Day 4″ (amylong1933.wordpress.com)