What Little Things Can We Do Each Day On Our Journey Of Recovery?
There are so many different paths we can take on our journey through recovery. What I mean is that there is no one right way because what works for me may not work for you. I am a recovering heroin addict. I attend methadone maintenance everyday and I am also involved in a number of self-help activities and groups. I do love Narcotics Anonymous but it is not the only recovery program I am involved in.
Change is the biggest advantage I think I have. I am willing to change today and try harder tomorrow. I try not to think about tomorrow, I just know that it is there and that if I want to improve something I can. I love to learn about Buddhism’s philosophy of life and how we should live and I apply those philosophies whenever I can. I pray to a Christian God and I attend church every Sunday. I have the spiritual tools I need, the curiosity to learn and the passion to change today. Tomorrow however, is a different day with new challenges and obstacles. I cannot worry about tomorrow or promise anything for tomorrow because I am only capable of staying in today right now.
If I need to work on a behavior or thought process I begin by become aware of it first whether someone tells me, I notice it or it’s something such as a consequence because of something I have done. So awareness is first, second is my thought process and how I can change that behavior. Then I implement the change by consciously acknowledging the behavior everyday and it takes about three weeks to implement a change. That means about three weeks of practice before the bad habit becomes a good one. For example isolating. Everyday I was coming home from methadone and going into my room, sometimes staying there all day. I was aware but did not want to do anything about it until someone close to me called me out on it. Next I had to think about how I was going to implement the change which I decided to go for a walk with my dogs everyday, call someone in recovery and attend more meetings. Each day when I got home from methadone I would remember I had to change, think about what I would do for that day to change and then do it. There are many different things we do in recovery to stay clean and live a better life.
- Happy People (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- A Better Life: Full Introduction (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- Be the Change! (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- When I open my eyes… (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- 30 Days of Recovery ~ chapter 26: The Pink Cloud of Recovery (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- A Better Life (Book Cover) (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- An Integrated Model Approach To Recovery and Addiction (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- Responsibility in Recovery (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- Cookie Cutter Recovery (amylong1933.wordpress.com)
- Stop bullying (amylong1933.wordpress.com)